Contact Granville County Parks (919) 693-3716
The Wilton Slopes Park is located just off the NC 96 overpass that spans the Tar River (3190 Highway 96). The park includes a gravel parking lot, a universally accessible parking pad, a covered picnic shelter, hiking trails and a small-boat launch for anglers and paddlers. It is the starting point for the Tar River Paddle Trail.
Many organizations and agencies contributed and worked together to conserve and protect this beautiful property and allow for its use by the public. They include:
– Granville County Board of Commissioners
– Granville County Recreation Advisory Committee
– Granville County Tourism Development Authority
– Tar River Land Conservancy
– The Nature Conservancy
– US Fish and Wildlife Service
– NC Wildlife Resources Commission
– NC Water Resources Division
– NC Division of Parks and Recreation
– Boy Scouts of America Troop 637
– Grady-White Boats, Inc.
– NC Department of Transportation
– Carolina Sunrock
– Mid-East Resource Conservation and Development Council
– Four-Rivers Resource Conservation and Development Council
– GoldenLeaf Foundation
– Gregory Poole, Inc.
– Summit Consulting
– Site Technologies
Just upriver from Wilton Slopes is a gaging station operated by the U.S.G.S that delivers depths and flow rates daily. Paddlers are encouraged to run the river at 2.5 feet or above.
The N.C. Wildlife Resources Division has partnered with the County of Granville to protect and enforce state recreation laws.