Firearms Permits

Effective March 29, 2023 – Purchase Permits No Longer Required in North Carolina

Any person seeking to purchase or transfer a handgun in North Carolina is no longer required to apply to the sheriff for a pistol purchase permit.  All pistol purchase permitting laws in North Carolina have been eliminated by the enactment of Senate Bill 41, Guarantee 2nd Amend Freedom and Protections

Any person seeking to purchase a handgun through a firearms dealer will undergo the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) criminal background check required under current law and either be sold the handgun or denied sale if a criminal history search indicates the person is disqualified from possessing a firearm.  For private transfers of handguns, while no National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) criminal background check is required under current law prior to making a private transfer, criminal penalties still apply to any person that knowingly transfers a handgun to a person who may not lawfully possess the firearm.

Read the full press release from the Granville County Sheriff’s Office.

Concealed Carry Handgun Permit

This permit allows approved NC residents to carry a concealed handgun, within limits. All applicants must be:

  • a citizen;
  • a resident of Granville County and of North Carolina for at least thirty (30) days;
  • 21 years old.

All applicants must also: 

  • successfully complete the NC Concealed Carry Handgun Training course;
  • pass criminal background and mental health checks;
  • apply in person and have valid identification, such as driver license.

The fee for a new Concealed Carry Handgun Permit is $98.00; renewals are $83.00. Fees can be paid by check or debit/credit card.

The application for a NEW Concealed Carry Permit can be found here: Application for NEW concealed handgun permit.

The application for a Concealed Carry Permit RENEWAL can be found here: Application for RENEWAL – concealed handgun permit.

NOTE: North Carolina correctional officers, federal correctional officers, military or out-of-state law enforcement officers (living in NC) are NOT exempt from firearms training.

If moving from a Granville County address to another address, in or out of the county:

  • Get your driver’s license updated;
  • Stop in the office and update your CHP address.

If address is in Granville County, you can order a new card or just carry the address change form with your current card. 

If moving to Granville County from another county:

  • Get your driver’s license updated;
  • Go to the county that currently holds your concealed handgun permit and do an address change with them;
  • then, come to Granville County Sheriff’s Office and order a new card, if you want,

Please note that the new address for the Granville County Sheriff’s Office is 525 New Commerce Drive in Oxford, at the newly-constructed Law Enforcement Center. Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 p.m.

Find out more information about NC Firearms Laws and State Reciprocity here.





Back To Top