Child Protective Services (CPS)

DSS Home>Child Services

North Carolina laws give the Granville County Department of Social Services responsibility for investigating reports of child abuse, neglect, and dependency. All North Carolina citizens are required to make such reports to Social Services whenever they suspect a child is being maltreated by a parent or caretaker. The identity of anyone who makes a report will be kept confidential.


Child Abuse can take a number of forms:teddy-teddy-bear-association-ill-42230-2

  • physical
  • sexual
  • emotional

Child Neglect also occurs in many different ways:

  • inadequate supervision
  • inappropriate discipline
  • failure to provide for a child’s basic needs
  • the use of illegal substances in the presence of a child
  • exposure to domestic violence.

Child Dependency exists when a child does not have a caretaker willing or able to provide care. The definitions of Child Abuse, Neglect, and Dependency are defined by State Law (N.C.G.S. 7B-101.)

Emergency Situations:

In emergency situations, when a reporter feels a child is in immediate danger,
call 911

On weekends and holidays, or after normal work hours, 911 will contact a social worker who is “On Call” to assist with child protective services emergencies.

 To make a CPS report:


(919) 693-1511
8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Ask to speak with Child Protective Services Intake


Granville County Department of Social Services
410 West Spring Street
Oxford, NC 27565

Mail or FAX

You may write a letter and mail or FAX it to

Granville County Department of Social Services
Attn: Child Protective Services
PO Box 966
Oxford, NC 27565
FAX number: (919) 693-3347

When an Abuse, Neglect or Dependency Report is received, the report is screened to determine whether or not it meets the statutory definitions. If the report meets requirements, the agency will conduct a thorough assessment.

The Multiple Response System allows county DSS agencies two different ways of responding to reports of child neglect or dependency:

  • Investigative Assessment Response
  • Family Assessment Response

However, in cases of Abuse, DSS does not have this option and must respond with an Investigative Assessment.

For more information visit Child Protective Services and the CPS manual.




Back To Top