Veterans are Encouraged to Locate and Securely Store their DD-214

Posted July 13, 2023


One of the most critical items needed by Veterans in the United States to receive access to benefits and programs is their Discharge from Active Duty or Certificate of Release Form, commonly referred to as the DD-214. This vital document is issued by the US Department of Defense upon retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty and is the key document needed by local, state, and federal service providers to assist Veterans and their families.


“When speaking with Veterans at our office, we often find that they do not have a copy of their DD-214,” said Interim Veterans Services Officer A.J. Spiess. “Whether they are trying to sign up for medical care from the VA, file a claim for burial honors, or apply for VA home mortgage loans, you will need a copy of your DD-214. I would encourage all Veterans to keep a copy of their DD-214 securely stored and somewhere it be accessed easily. It is also important to make sure your spouse or another close family member knows how to find a copy of your DD-214.”


Veterans in Granville County who need assistance obtaining a copy of their DD-214 are encouraged to visit the Veterans Services Office located at 141 Williamsboro Street in Oxford. Weekly office hours are also held on Wednesdays at Creedmoor City Hall (111 Masonic Street, Creedmoor) from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Currently, the Oxford office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


The Granville County Veterans Services Office provides Veterans and their families assistance with educational benefits, grave markers, license plates, disability benefits, tax benefits, wildlife licenses, and much more. For more information about the Granville County Veterans Services Office, call 919-693-1484 or visit the Granville County website.

Back To Top