Medical Benefits


Image result for Durham VA medicalVeterans discharged under other than “dishonorable” conditions are eligable. Veterans must enroll for health benefits using the 10-10EZ application (bottom of this page) or online at (online is best). You will then be placed in a priority group based on service connected disabilities and/or financial need. Some veterans may have to make co-payments for their VA health care. These co-pays are as follows: 

  • $8 for a 30 day prescription
  • $15 for primary care visit
  • $50 for specialized care visits

Private Medical Insurance 

VA is required to bill private health insurance providers for medical care, supplies and prescriptions for treatment of non-service connected conditions. Generally, VA does not bill Medicare but will bill Medicare supplemental insurance. All veterans are required to provide information on their health insurance coverage when applying for benefits.


The main VA hospital for this area is located in Durham, North Carolina.

Health Registry

Certain veterans can participate in VA health registries and receive free medical examinations to provide special health related information. The current registries available now are:

  • Agent Orange
  • Depleted Uranium
  • Gulf War
  • Ionizing Radiation
  • Burn Pit Exposure

Champ VA

This health insurance is available for spouses or children of veterans who are considered permanently and totally disabled due to service-connected disabilities, whose death was due to permanent and total service connected disability or who died on active duty not due to misconduct.

Please note: You cannot receive Tri-Care benefits and Champ VA concurrently.

Dental Treatment

VA will provide dental treatment to veterans who are recently discharged and did not receive a final dental exam. Application for these benefits must be completed within 90 days of discharge. The VA will also provide dental treatment to veterans who have a service connected dental disability, former POWs, and those who the VA considers 100% permanently and totally disabled.

To apply, use VA Form 10-10EZ. After completing the VA 10-10ez, attach all the documents relevant to you along with your DD-214 and mail to: Health Eligibility Center, 2957 Clairmont Road, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30329

VA Form 10-10ez


Back To Top