Compensation & Pension

Related image

Disability Compensation 

Compensation is for Veterans who have disabilities that incurred while on active duty that remains a chronic issue.  If the VA service-connects these disabilities, the VA can pay a monthly monetary award to the Veteran. The VA can also pay for disabilities that are caused by service-connected disabilities, or are a presumptive condition from military service (Agent Orange, Gulf War Illnesses, Camp Lejeune Contaminated Water, and others).

VA Compensation

Non-Service Connected Pension


Non-Service connected Pension is for War-time era Veterans who are over 65 or under 65 and have physical disabilities that did not result from military service, but those disabilities prevent the veteran from substantially gainful employment. If the Veteran’s income falls below a certain level set by the VA, and they have physical disabilities preventing them from employment, then the VA can pay that Veteran a monthly pension rate. If over age 65, no physical disabilities have to be present, but the income requirements still have to be met.

 VA Pension

Let Us Help You Apply

To apply for either program contact Granville County Veteran Services for an appointment to meet with a Veteran Service Officer. Please bring the following documentation: 

  • Original discharge or DD 214
  • Medical evidence of your diagnosis including statement(s) from doctor(s) showing current medical condition being claimed that list date of diagnosis and doctor’s name and contact information (address, phone & fax)
  • Medical evidence indicating that the disability was caused by or arose during your active duty service
  • Private medical records, non-DOD/VA Healthcare records (or addresses of the doctors or hospitals to obtain records)
  • All correspondence from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Bank account and routing numbers (required for direct deposit of VA benefits)
  • Pension applicants will also need to bring financial information, to include income information and continuing medical expenses.
  • Other evidence you believe will support your claim

You may also need the following items if they apply to you situation: Image result for military images

  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Copy(s) of birth certificate(s) for each claimed dependent, including your spouse
  • Copy of death certificate, if applying for survivor’s benefits
  • Copy(s) of divorce decree(s) for veteran and spouse
  • Copy of guardianship document/court letters
  • Copy of Social Security award letters showing current benefit rate
  • Copy of pension or annuity award letter showing current benefit rate
  • Collateral statement(s) – eyewitness accounts
  • Social Security Cards/numbers for each claimed dependent

All documents (especially DD-214) should be either originals or certified copies. A claim submitted without full information may take longer to process or be denied until the information is received. Claims based on a non-service connected disability or death require active duty during a recognized wartime period.

Eligible Wartime Periods

  • Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
  • World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
  • World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
  • Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)



Back To Top