Veterans Services


What To Bring To Your Appointment

Image result for patriotic picturesPlease bring the following documentation to your claim appointment: 

  • Original discharge or DD 214
  • Medical evidence of your diagnosis including statement(s) from doctor(s) showing current medical condition being claimed that list date of diagnosis and doctor’s name and contact information (address, phone & fax)
  • Medical evidence indicating that the disability was caused by or arose during your active duty service
  • Private medical records, non-DOD/VA Healthcare records (or addresses of the doctors or hospitals to obtain records)
  • All correspondence from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Bank account and routing numbers (required for direct deposit of VA benefits)
  • Pension applicants will also need to bring financial information, to include income information and continuing medical expenses.
  • Other evidence you believe will support your claim

You may also need the following items if they apply to you situation:

  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • Copy(s) of birth certificate(s) for each claimed dependent, including your spouse
  • Copy of death certificate, if applying for survivor’s benefits
  • Copy(s) of divorce decree(s) for veteran and spouse
  • Copy of guardianship document/court letters
  • Copy of Social Security award letters showing current benefit rate
  • Copy of pension or annuity award letter showing current benefit rate
  • Collateral statement(s) – eyewitness accounts
  • Social Security Cards/numbers for each claimed dependent

All documents (especially DD-214) should be either originals or certified copies. A claim submitted without full information may take longer to process or be denied until the information is received. Claims based on a non-service connected disability or death require active duty during a recognized wartime period.

Eligible Wartime Periods

  • Mexican Border Period (May 9, 1916 – April 5, 1917 for Veterans who served in Mexico, on its borders, or adjacent waters)
  • World War I (April 6, 1917 – November 11, 1918)
  • World War II (December 7, 1941 – December 31, 1946)
  • Korean conflict (June 27, 1950 – January 31, 1955)
  • Vietnam era (February 28, 1961 – May 7, 1975 for Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam during that period; otherwise August 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975)
  • Gulf War (August 2, 1990 – through a future date to be set by law or Presidential Proclamation)

Please be aware that Granville County Veteran Services does not provide consultations or complete claims work via email or telephone. If you email documentation, there is no guarantee this office will get to it in a timely manner. We do not accept drop-offs unless you previously discuss this with us in person. In order to ensure you get prompt and timely service, please make an appointment and bring in all information that is pertinent to your case.


Back To Top