Frequently Asked Questions



Contact Granville County planning and zoning (919) 603-1331

Contact Granville County Inspections (919) 603-1326



  • What hours can I apply for a permit and where is your office located? Permit hours are 8:30am – 11:00am or 2:00pm-4:00pm. Our physical address is 122 Williamsboro Street, Oxford NC 27565
  • What is the best time to contact the inspectors? The best time to contact inspectors are 7:30am – 9:00am or 2:30pm – 3:30pm.  Phone call is best to verify inspector is in, because schedules vary each day.
  • Do I need a permit for a residential storage building? A storage building that exceeds 12 feet in any dimension requires a permit. A zoning permit and health department approval is required as well.
  • Do I need a permit to replace the shingles on my house? A permit is not needed to replace shingles only.
  • Do I need a permit for a fence? A building permit is not required, however, a zoning permit is required.
  • Do I need a permit for a deck? Yes, a permit is required. You will also need a zoning permit and health department approval.  A set of plans will need to be submitted for review.
  • Do I need a permit to replace deck boards only? A permit is not required for replacement of deck boards only.
  • Do I need a building permit for a metal carport? If it is a portable lightweight aluminum type carport not exceeding 400 sq ft or 12 feet mean roof height, a permit is not required.  Other than this type, a permit is required.  However, a zoning permit is still required for any type.
  • Do I need a permit for an above ground pool? Yes, permits are required to check electrical and fencing requirements. You will also need a zoning permit and health department approval.
  • I have a room in my house that was finished without permits. What is the process to obtain a permit? Contact office for information.
  • I am going to finish a bonus room or upstairs area, do I need a permit? Yes, a permit is needed. You will also need a zoning exemption and health department approval.
  • How long is a permit valid? A permit expires 6 months after the date of issuance if the work has not been commenced. If, after commencement, the work is discontinued for a period of 12 months, the permit expires.  (An inspection must be on record in our office within the 6 months after date of issuance, to keep permit valid)
  • Can I apply online for permits? You can email applications for trade permits only and pay online.
  • Where do I get a map of my property? You can get a copy of your property from the Tax Department, from or you can get the recorded survey from the Register of Deeds.
  • Where do I get septic or well permits? You will contact the Health Department (919)693-2688 for septic or well permits.
  • Where do I get a property address? You will contact Sandy Woody, with Granville County Addressing at (919) 692-1278 for an address.
  • How many sets of plans are required for plan review? For residential plan review, we require one set of plans. For non-residential plan review, we require three sets of plans.
  • Is a copy of the plans kept in the inspection office? Residential plans are not kept in our office. They are given back with the permit to be kept on job site.  Non-residential plans are kept on file for approximately one year after the final c/o.
  • How long does plan review take? For residential plan review, allow 5 – 7 days for review. For non-residential plan review, allow a minimum of 3 weeks.
  • Can I act as my own contractor? An owner can act as their own contractor if they own the property and will be occupying the building for at least 12 consecutive months following the final c/o inspection.
  • How do I schedule inspections? To schedule an inspection, you must call our office at (919) 603-1326, with the correct permit number.
  • What forms of payment are accepted for permit fees? We accept cash, check, or credit/debit cards.  Credit cards are only accepted in person with the card in hand and a convenience fee is also added.
  • How long are permit records kept on file? Permits are kept on file for six years then destroyed.  Records are destroyed in accordance with the NC Department of Cultural Resources.
  • Does Granville County have a minimum housing code? Currently, Granville County does not have a minimum housing code.
  • Can I get power on my vacant lot? Power to a vacant lot is not allowed in Granville County.  Our zoning ordinance prohibits power to a lot prior to a dwelling being established.
  • Can I get power on a vacant lot to hook up my camper? Power to a vacant lot is not allowed in Granville County.  Our zoning ordinance prohibits power to a lot prior to a dwelling being established.  A camper cannot be established as the dwelling.
  • May we pay re-inspection fees to the inspector or leave the fee in the permit box? No. Re-inspection fees can be paid in office, mailed in or paid online.  Re-inspection fees must be paid prior to scheduling the final inspection.
Back To Top