Utility Assistance Programs Offered by Department of Social Services

Posted January 12, 2022


The Granville County Department of Social Services offers assistance programs to support residents who may otherwise have challenges paying utility bills. The Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) and the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) are both available through the Department of Social Services for assistance with electric and/or gas heating bills or for water/wastewater utility services.


LIEAP (Low Income Energy Assistance Program)


Some households in Granville County may qualify for assistance with their heating bill during the winter. Depending on the heat source, eligible households may receive $300, $400, or $500 (in the form of a one-time payment) toward their heating bill through the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP).


Those interested in applying for this assistance –– should provide this information when applying:


  • Valid identification
  • Social security numbers for everyone in the home
  • Proof of income for the month prior to the application
  • A heating bill that indicates the account number


Every household must complete an application. If approved, payments will be made directly to the heating provider.


If applying for someone else, applicants should provide a signed permission statement from the person they are representing.


Applications are currently being taken and will continue through March 31, or until funds are exhausted.


LIHWAP (Low Income Household Water Assistance Program)


Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency program that will help eligible households and families afford water and wastewater services, providing a one-time payment for eligible low-income households paid directly to the utility company. LIHWAP runs through September 2023 or until the funds are exhausted.


Currently all three groups are able to apply:


  • Group 1 – Households that have had water services disconnected.
  • Group 2 – Households that are in jeopardy of water services being disconnected unless action is taken to prevent the disconnect.
  • Group 3 – Households that have current water services bills and need assistance to maintain service.


To safely and better serve our customers who need assistance, apply online. Other ways to apply are over the phone by calling (919) 693-1511, mail in application to Granville County Department of Social Services, 410 West Spring Street in Oxford, fax application to (919) 693-5090, or drop off the application in our secure drop box available to you at any time.  

Back To Top