Granville County Emergency Services offers fire safety tips

During the Thanksgiving holiday, the danger of fire typically increases, with most of those fires starting in the kitchen or outside cooking area.


Granville County Emergency Services advises residents not to leave the stove or oven unattended when cooking, and to have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in the home. It is recommended that there should be a smoke detector in each bedroom and on each floor.


“A good fire extinguisher can save lives and property,” Emergency Services Director Logan says. “Make sure to keep one handy and know how to use it!”


 Other fire safety tips provided by FEMA and the U.S. Fire Administration include these:

1.     Ranges account for the largest share of home cooking fire incidents. Be sure to watch what you are cooking;

2.     Frying poses the greatest risk of fire. Keep a pan lid or baking sheet nearby to quickly cover possible flames;

3.     Turn pot handles towards the back of the stove;

4.     Wear short sleeves or roll sleeves up when cooking. Clothing is often the first item ignited during cooking fires;

5.     Help prevent outdoor cooking fires by using grills and turkey fryers away from siding or deck railings;

6.     Never leave grills, fire pits, turkey fryers or patio torches unattended;

7.     If frying a turkey, remember that an over-filled cooking pot will cause oil to spill over when the turkey is placed inside;

8.     Dispose of coals – after they have cooled – in a metal can. If frying a turkey, let hot grease cool before disposing of it

9.     Turkey fryers can easily overturn and start a fire. Be sure the base is sturdy and watch carefully;

10.  Keep kids and pets away from hot surfaces.


“The holiday season shouldn’t be anything but happy reunions and celebrations, never tragedy as the result of a fire,” Logan says. 


If you have any questions about smoke detectors or fire extinguishers, Logan recommends a call to your local fire department.



Granville County Emergency Services wishes all residents a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Back To Top