Special Assistance

DSS Home>Public Assistance>Medicaid>Adult Medicaid & Individuals with Disabilities

Special Assistance (For adult care home residents) provides a cash supplement to low income individuals to help pay for room and board in residential facilities. These facilities include:

-Adult care homes
-Family care homes
-Group homes

SA Eligibility

To be eligible for special assistance individuals must be age 65 or older, or disabled and live in a residential facility approved for special assistance. The facility must agree to accept the state rate for special assistance residents. Individuals who are eligible for special assistance are automatically eligible for Medicaid.

Adult Care Home residents who have Alzheimer’s disease or a related disorder may reside in a licensed Special Care Unit in an Adult Care Home. The State/County Special Assistance program provides a different rate of assistance for Adult Care Home recipients who reside in a Special Care Unit.

How to apply for SA:


Bonnie Humphries
Granville County Department of Social Services
410 West Spring Street

  Oxford, NC 27565
Phone: (919) 603-3330

More Information on Special Assistance: SA/SCU Program Informational Brochure

Back To Top