Permit to Purchase a Handgun
Applicants must be at least 18 years old **You must be at least 18 to receive a purchase permit and at least 21 years old to purchase from a federally licensed firearms dealer.
- Must be a resident of the County in which you are applying for the permit.
- Must have a valid id, such as a driver’s license.
- Must pass criminal background and mental health checks.
Applications for Purchase Permits can be found here.
The fee is: $8.00, ($5.00 for each permit and $3.00 for notary fee).
Fees can be paid by cash, check, Credit/Debit card.
Concealed Carry Handgun Permit
This permit allows approved NC residents to carry a concealed handgun, within limits.
- Must be a citizen.
- A resident of Granville County and of North Carolina for at least thirty (30) days.
- 21 years old.
- Successfully complete the NC Concealed Carry Handgun Training Course.
- Pass criminal background and mental health checks.
- Apply in person and have a valid id, such as driver license.
A new Concealed Carry Handgun Permit is $98.00 and renewal are $83.00.
Fees can be paid by cash, check, Debit/Credit card.
The application for a NEW Concealed Carry Permit can be found here.
The application for a RENEWAL of Concealed Carry Permit can be found here.
NOTE: North Carolina correctional officers, federal correctional officers, military or out-of-state law enforcement officers (living in NC) are NOT exempt from firearms training.
Do you need to change the address on your concealed handgun permit?
Moving from a Granville County address to another address, in or out of the County.
- Get your driver license updated.
- Stop in the office and update your CHP address.
- If address is in Granville County, come and order a new card here. If outside of Granville County, go to the Sheriff’s Office in the new County to order to new card.
Moving to Granville County from another County.
- Get your driver’s license updated.
- Go to the County that you currently have your concealed handgun permit with and do an address change there.
- Then, come to Granville County Sheriff’s Office and order a new card.
Office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Find out more information about NC Firearms Laws and State Reciprocity here.