Granville County Senior Services contract with KARTS (Kerr Area Rural Transit System) to provide transportation for Granville County’s 60 plus population. Transportation is provided for the following purposes:
- Medical – (Oxford, Henderson, Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill)
- Daily – senior center involvement
Please call the Granville County Senior Center at (919) 693-1930 for more information on medical transportation or transportation to one of our centers.
Transportation within the city limits of Oxford is provided daily through a fixed bus route set up by KARTS. This route, called “Oxford Loop Shuttle”, begins each week day at 8 a.m. at the Granville County Senior Center. In the following hour, it makes 15 stops within the city. The route is designed for the van to be back at the senior center every hour, on the hour, and follow the exact same route until 5 p.m. There is currently no cost to ride this shuttle; it is funded from a grant through the NC Department of Transportation. The shuttle is open to anyone of any age. An individual may board the van at any one of the stops along the route, and get off at any one of the stops. The idea is to get off at the stop closest to your destination and then walk to your destination.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can I be picked up at my house? Yes
- Can KARTS get me to an out-of-town doctor’s office in time for a 9:00 a.m. appointment? No. Because KARTS goes all over the county picking up individuals who have reserved a ride, KARTS does not guarantee arrival time before 10:00 a.m.
- If I need to reserve a ride for a medical appointment, how much will it cost me? It depends on where you will be going, and the number of miles that will be traveled. Senior Services will pay the majority of the cost, but you will be asked to contribute toward the cost.
- Can someone ride on the van with me to assist me for the day? Yes. You may bring along one friend, family member or aide to assist you, and he/she may ride the van for no cost.
- When will the van bring me back home? Because these out of town medical trips are done with groups of people who have appointments on the same day, the van will be not be picking you up for the return trip home until around 4:00 p.m. that afternoon.
- What if I need transportation to come into one of the senior centers? As long as you live in one of the areas where the daily vans run, it should be no problem. A small donation is requested for a round trip ticket.
Click here to return to the Senior Services homepage.