Compensation: Hiring salary will be commensurate with experience
Hours: 12 hour shifts
Deadline: Open until filled
Perform inmate detention, care, security, and release work in accordance with established policies and procedures. Work includes the observation and accompaniment of inmates inside the jail and related care and record keeping requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes incoming inmates, completes necessary paperwork, takes photographs, searches inmates, obtains and secures inmates’s personal property, assigns and escorts inmates to proper holding facilities, advises inmates of jail rules and regulations.
- Arranges contacts by visits or telephone calls between inmates and relatives, court officials, attorneys; escorts inmates to visiting rooms; answers telephone and radio, inspects incoming and outgoing mail.
- Controls doors, cell blocks, cell block telephones, and other devices to insure proper safety and security of jail occupants.
- Distributes medication, personal hygiene items, meals, linens, clothing, and other items to inmates; checks on intoxicated and other prisoners in special medical or mental conditions.
- Prepares inmates for court. Maintains accurate and detailed records on work and inmate activities; enters inmate records into computer data base; prints reports.
- Transports inmates to court, other prisons, medical visits and other locations.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to inmate sentencing, pre-trial conditions and release.
Working knowledge of policies and procedures covering inmate security, classification, care, and discipline.
- Working knowledge of the practices, materials and equipment used in cleaning and maintaining buildings and equipment.
Ability to exercise sound judgement in routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to work in a hazardous and confining environment.
Ability to deal tactfully and firmly with inmates, law enforcement personnel, and the general public.
Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with the supervisors, other employees, law enforcement and court personnel, and the general public.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
Granville County offers a very competitive benefit package. It includes County health and life insurance, group rate coverage for dental and vision, a flexible spending plan, 401k, and a retirement pension (once fully vested). Granville County employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year as well as the ability to accrue vacation and sick leave on a monthly basis. Several voluntary supplemental insurance options are also offered including AFLAC and Colonial. Granville County offers excellent promotional and advancement opportunities as well as unrivaled career security in working for local government.
Qualified applicants should submit a Granville County Employment Application to the Division of Workforce Solutions (ESC), 111 Hilltop Village, Oxford, NC 27565.
Granville County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.