Compensation: Hiring salary will be commensurate with experience
Hours: 12 hour shifts
Deadline: Open until filled
Performs responsible food preparation and kitchen sterilization work in the detention section of the Sheriff’s Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans meals according to established menus; orders food and other supplies and maintains proper inventory of items.
- Prepares a complete meal by choosing the proper amounts of food for preparation, starting the cooking process, seasoning, observing while cooking, removing when ready, and placing food in warming devices.
- Prepares serving portions and special dietary servings according to specific guidelines.
- Secures necessary items used in the meal preparation and prepares this food for cooking.
- Prepares breakfast, lunch, and dinner working with other cooks; prepares breads, salads, vegetables, meats, deserts, and other food items.
- Cleans or insures proper cleanliness and sanitation of dishes, food preparation equipment and supplies, ovens, refrigerators, and other kitchen equipment and supplies; performs and insures proper quality control of freezer, refrigerator temperatures and other quality standards.
- Considerable knowledge of methods of preparation and cooking of food in quantity.
- Considerable knowledge of the use and adoptabilities of various pieces of cooking equipment used in commercial or institutional kitchens.
- Considerable knowledge of nutritional, portion, and sterilization requirements and regulations.
- Working knowledge of proper temperatures and temperature measurements in freezers and refrigerators.
- Ability to maintain high standards of personal cleanliness as well as food sanitation.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write and considerable experience in food preparation in large quantities; or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
Granville County offers a very competitive benefit package. It includes County health and life insurance, group rate coverage for dental and vision, a flexible spending plan, 401k, and a retirement pension (once fully vested). Granville County employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year as well as the ability to accrue vacation and sick leave on a monthly basis. Several voluntary supplemental insurance options are also offered including AFLAC and Colonial. Granville County offers excellent promotional and advancement opportunities as well as unrivaled career security in working for local government.
Qualified applicants should submit a Granville County Employment Application to the Division of Workforce Solutions (ESC), 111 Hilltop Village, Oxford, NC 27565.
Granville County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.