Department: Granville County Library System
Compensation: Salary range is $26,500 – $35,000
Hours: 37.5 hours/week; varies with hours of operation
Deadline: Open until filled
Under general supervision and in consultation with other staff, supports the library mission by providing programs, materials and services for youth age infant to 18, families and caregivers. Assists patrons with all library services, and ensures a safe and pleasant environment for library users and staff.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
An employee in this class provides programs, materials and services for youth age infant to 18, families and caregivers. Assists patrons with all library services, and ensures a safe and pleasant environment for library users and staff. Work requires extensive knowledge of the collection, professional judgment and initiative as well as tact and diplomacy in dealing with the library’s patrons, staff and the general public. Work is performed independently under the supervision of the Branch Manager, and is evaluated through observation, informal conferences, quality and quantity of services delivered, patron feedback and performance evaluations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In consultation with other Youth Services Staff, responsible for all aspects of children’s and young adult collection development including selecting and weeding materials, processing suggestions for additions to the children’s and young adult collections, and tracking and maintaining the children’s and young adult materials budgets.
- Developing, promoting, presenting and evaluating programs and displays for children and young adults.
- Responsible for maintenance of the children’s and young adult collections including new item shelves.
- Assisting patrons with in depth reference, technology and reader’s advisory questions with special emphasis on the target population, and developing training for the staff and the public in these areas.
- Attending and contributing to meetings of the programming team as well as other teams as assigned.
- Attending and contributing to webinars, meetings and conferences of local, regional and state library and youth services organizations.
- Providing outreach to the community with special emphasis on the target population.
- Recruiting, training and managing children’s and young adult services volunteers.
- Assisting patrons with a variety of services including locating special items, responding to general inquiries, providing information, instructing patrons on use of library equipment, processing holds, typing and data input, assessing fines and receiving monies for fines and copies.
- Preparing materials to be shelved. Assisting in assuring accurate library reshelving and shelf-reading with a special emphasis on the Children’s and Young Adult collections.
- Checking materials in and out using computers and specific library software.
- Assisting with opening and closing the library.
- Assisting with registration of patrons for new and replacement library cards.
- Answering the telephone and providing routine information or referring and transferring calls.
- Assisting with emptying book drop, keeping shelves in orderly condition, shifting books and/or magazines, as needed.
- Performs related tasks as required.
Master’s Degree in Library Science with some library or children’s or young adult experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Granville County offers a very competitive benefit package. It includes County health and life insurance, group rate coverage for dental and vision, a flexible spending plan, 401k, and a retirement pension (once fully vested). Granville County employees enjoy 12 paid holidays per year as well as the ability to accrue vacation and sick leave on a monthly basis. Several voluntary supplemental insurance options are also offered including AFLAC and Colonial. Granville County offers excellent promotional and advancement opportunities as well as unrivaled career security in working for local government.
Qualified applicants should submit a Granville County Employment Application to Workforce Solutions (formerly ESC), 111 Hilltop Village, Oxford, NC 27565.
Granville County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.